Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Reconsidering Time: Counting Down/Counting Up


Sometime during Amy's pregnancy, I began to tell people I was understanding time for the first time in my life. Feeling it.

It had to do, of course, with the Very Big Thing coming, that we knew very little about. That we were counting down to. And every day, the closer it came, the less we felt we knew about it.

It was a new mode of time for me. One that made my feet feel more connected to the earth.

Now, I think, that mode has changed somewhat. Now that Hale is out here in the world with us, we are no longer counting down, but rather we're counting up.

Now instead of knowing less each day about what it is we're counting, we're getting to know more each day who this person is, what our lives will be like with him.

Today was Hale's second semanaversary. Two weeks old this morning. Counting Up.



Five, ten, fifteen: 15 days old. And my feet feel even more connected with the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment