Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Meeting You In This Way

When Hale was in Amy's belly, I talked to him in there: "We are so excited to meet you!" I would say, "I am waiting you."

Now we are meeting him, in this very rare way. In these enforced dribs and drabs. It's so much more gradual and metered than the firehose familymaking of taking home a full-grown newborn.

We are probably a little jealous of that firehose, for sure. But I think we're being honest too when we talk about feeling lucky about the way things are working out. And not just because of all the ways in which they could have gone wrong (still can go wrong, of course).

If the Baby Manager had come up to us two and a half weeks ago and asked whether, on our baby application, we had meant to check the "premature okay" box... It's true we might have said, "Oh, my gosh, no. Uncheck that! Thank you for noticing!"

But knowing what we know now, I think we might have just left that box checked.

2 comments: